I was just sitting and watching t.v. wondering what to write about, and this idea popped into my head. I hope  readers like it. and please do come back for more!


60 Seconds to Tragedy Management


There is always something everyone makes sure they do in the twenty four hours of a day. Something to get away from all the stress and tension, some time dedicated just to ourselves. Well, for me, it’s a cup of coffee and a walk with music. Every evening sharp at five fifteen, I would step into the kitchen and do what I do the best. Without any intension of bragging, I can say that I would make myself the world’s best coffee. The next step to a wonderful evening - who doesn’t love a good read huh? After grabbing a nice book, sitting by the window I would take look at the cloudy sky and the-always-full-of-traffic-road. Now comes the best part, I hold the cup of coffee in my hand and take in the aroma. This is the part of the day I wait for. The aroma of the once crushed coffee beans just wakes up the sleeping energy and fills me with delight! After this I would freshen up and get into those jet black sports shoes put a sling bag by my shoulder and with my music player off I go!

But not every day is the same. Yesterday my walk took a different path which led to a complete change of circumstances. This I did not realize until now. Here I am all set with my shoes on. But something stopped me. My mom as usual watches the news at this time. I couldn’t help but notice while tying my shoelace, a very familiar face. But before this, let me narrate the story of how I met the familiar face. It all started yesterday. I was walking on the sidewalk wobbling and shaking my head to my favorite rock song and singing in a dreadful voice. I preferred taking the deserted road as I could avoid all the looks shot at me by the fellow walkers thinking I am some hippie. After about three songs I would take a left as a shortcut to reach home early in order to avoid any scoldings. But today this road was closed, seemed like they were finally getting rid of those potholes. I walked forward; the road went on and on. I could see a blurred figure advancing towards me. It became clearer as it came closer. It was a man who was running as if someone was after his life. He crashed into me and his bag fell open. I tried to help him get up but he just told me to leave him alone and get lost. His hostile attitude gave me no reason to wait there. So I walked ahead and luckily there was a turn here. I had never been to this part of the road before. It was completely deserted with no soul to be seen. This path was unusually beautiful. There were trees lined up at the sides and through the spaces between the branches came in the honey colored sunlight which was warm and pleasant. It was sort of a ‘road not taken’ and ‘wanted wear’ as quoted by Robert Frost. I saw an old fragile looking woman trying to cross the road. I thought of helping her but again the road was empty with no sign of a car, and so it would be futile. Suddenly I heard a scream, turning to see where it came from; the old lady was lying on the ground crying in pain. Within a split second a car passed by. I read the number plate and memorized it. Running towards the lady I dialed the number of the police telling them about the hit and run. I got the woman to a hospital. Fortunately, she hadn’t suffered many injuries. This woman’s face was the one flashing on the news. According to the headlines there was going to be a bank robbery and a bomb blast simultaneously at the local bank. The terrorists were already there and had held many hostage. But the police had just reached in time to catch them red handed. At first I didn’t understand how the old lady was related to any of this but then they mentioned that this woman had been hit by a car and an unidentified person had called in the police to catch the driver. This car had belonged to the criminals. The police following the trail reached the bank thus saving everybody.

Everything was crystal clear now. Since I crashed into the criminal he reached his car only a few seconds late. Because he was late he encountered the lady on the road. Because of the accident I led the police to the bank thus saving so many lives. All this had just happened in a matter of one minute. I had caused a chain reaction. It was hard to believe but I guess everything does happen for a reason after all.  Mom switched the channel bringing me back to the world and I opened the door smiling to myself thinking where my walk would lead me today.

Comments

Popular Posts