Can one ever truly live(without regrets) ?


Life. We plan on doing so much in it, filling it with hopes and dreams, fantasies, wishes, grudges and so much more. But who knows when it’s going to end? It could be a few weeks, days or even seconds. Who knows what is going to hit us next.  But when it does end, we can’t even be angry about not being able to achieve all that we wanted to, about not saying goodbye, about not being able to solve our rifts with others.  I usually say: ‘I have my entire life to do this’, but do I? For some it might be truly long, but not everyone’s that lucky, right?  We can’t even be angry about not making our life content, because death just lasts for a moment. Boom and everything is lost.

Today my mom got a call; it wasn't a happy call as you would have guessed after reading the first paragraph.  Her cousin sister and her son had died in an accident on a highway after being hit by a truck.  I really didn't know what to say?! I mean what could I possibly say to bring them back. 

One of my English teachers in school had once corrected me after reading one of my essays; he said “You should never use ‘died’ or ‘dead’ while writing stories. Try using ‘passed away ‘next time“. When I questioned him, asking how it would make a difference, he said “passed away is more polite”

But is there a polite way of conveying death? Death is usually conveyed as a fearful, dreadful and bad thought. Why so? My sister told me that when she was a kid she would often cry thinking how she would live after our parents died. My mother and father obviously were shocked when they heard a  five year old was worrying about death.  But shouldn't we all?

Everyone likes to believe that they live in the moment, but none of us do.  But if we all start doing things instantaneously, maybe we won’t have to worry about death since we would most likely be content with our lives. Thus we wouldn't have a problem dying, since would have already got everything from life.

Then many other questions arises in my head, will we ever be content? After all we are humans, are we ever satisfied? Do we ever stop looking for happiness and let go? Has anyone ever truly accepted death without any complains? Without any regrets? Even if we don’t, we can’t complain about because we no longer exist.

Existence is really phenomenal.  What we do with it won’t truly affect us till that last moment, when we have a flash back, and think- ‘have I lived?’ Well you better hope the answer is yes.             

Comments

Popular Posts