An unrequited love.

"When we were little we'd walk to the beach in the late afternoons and stay till the sun had almost set. See the 'almost' is very important. Because that was the beginning of her "almost's". I would always jump into the water and enjoy every wave that hit me with ferocity. She'd just stand at shore. As the wave approached she would stand there excitedly waiting to be pulled in so we'd be reunited. But when the wave almost hit her feet, she'd take a step back. This went on for years, she almost failed that maths test, she almost crossed the street, she almost dropped college, she almost became a doctor, she almost wrote a book and she almost died once. When I told her I loved her she said 'I think I almost love you too'. But she never quite got there, just like she never got to the sea"

There is something about the sea. Somedays its like getting a calling. On a random day I get the sudden urge to feel the briny air against my skin, to feel my hair being pushed away by the wind and to watch the waves crash against each other and settle at the shore. When I get there its like being in a state of emotional paralysis. As if i just flipped a switch, to a feeling close to peace. Its even easier to walk near the water(sceintifically, the sand is wet giving it more fricion, unlike the dry sand). But the strange part is, on days like today I just kow the sea will be ferocious and the sky will be more beautiful than usual. Call it instinct, I really don't know. I walked for a long time, wanting to dive in. Thats the thing, I always wanna go in but sadly I can't swim. 

As a kid I had swimming lessons in school, I never got out of the float. Every time I tried to get it off, I almost drowned and the teacher would come save me. Weird how I'm always so drawn to things I can't get. Nature works in odd ways. After being done with my stroll I got home and felt rather strange. For the next few hours i had an unsetlling feeling, as if I was not at home but some place foreign. I felt uncomfortable, sad and lonely. This is a regular occurance after I drop by the beach. 

Maybe I just love the ocean too much huh?





Comments

Popular Posts