What makes us forget?

"That day you took my breath away, you filled my soul with fire and gave me a burning bright flame to live for, you gave me hope like a blooming flower on a winter day. And then you took it away. Its been so long and I'm still trying so hard to find it back."
What makes us forget?

Have you had those days that are really very important to you? It can be anything, a birthday, an anniversary, the day you learnt how to cycle, the day you made your parents proud, the day you had the best night of your life, the day you went for a concert.

Days like these usually stay embedded in your mind. You even remember the day and the month, but as the time passes by you start referring to it in the sense of milestones. Like forgotten milestones. For eg: a month from now, it'll be a year since I went here, I did this, etc. What I mean to say is, this day becomes so important that you are constantly reminded of how long has passed since you experienced that day.

But at what point do you forget about it? Will you ever forget about it? Or will these old dusty milestones always exist in the back of your mind. Will they always bring the same memories, the same warmth in your tummy, the same sparkle in your eyes and the crazy excitement years later? Or will it be reduced to a sad reminder that you no longer have that experience or you'll never have it again?

I don't know if I want to forget, but these dates that show up every time my eyes fall on a calendar hit me like a suckerpunch. When I think I've forgotten about all of it, all of those memories and days, that's when it comes back. And when you are going to hit the one year mark it certainly hurts the most. Because its been a year and I'm still trying to find those pieces of me that were taken away.

Comments

Popular Posts